- aircrew commented on Douglas brothers
- Brian_How commented on Poi Hakena (Jackson) Phillips - D Coy - Reg.No.800875
- merehorataurua commented on Hone Pokai Taurua "Big John"
- tarnz07 commented on Poi Hakena (Jackson) Phillips - D Coy - Reg.No.800875
- Djmenace commented on David McCaskill
Christmas messages from Māori patients in North Africa, 1942
This recording taken in 1942 is of a group of Māori patients from No. 2 New Zealand General Hospital in North Africa.
Nurse Wiki Katene of Porirua (Ngāti Toa)and a group of patients from the Māori Battalion sing “Tama Ngākau Mārie”. Wiki introduces the young men who offer greetings in Māori to different iwi, hapū and localities. Some of the voices are hard to decipher, but the following soldiers, all wounded during the Alamein Campaign, have been identified:
- Wiremu Pohe, Ngapuhi - Whangarei
- Ngaone Tahere, Kaikohe - Ngati Tautahi
- (?), Te Arawa - Ngati Pikiao
- Pena Hohepa, Matata
- Pita Hodge, Ngati Whakaue - Ohinemutu
- Te Irimana (Paul) Waenga, Te Whānau-a-Apanui
- (?) McClutchie, Ngati Porou - Wharekahika
- Barney Kapuaroa, Turanganui
- Possibly Richard Hale:Hauraki - Harataunga (Kennedy Bay)
- Unidentified possibly Wharau or Heremia Houkamau(?) sends greetings on behalf of himself and Tame Makarati (aka Huna McClutchie) - Wharekahika (Hicks Bay)
- Tame (Thomas) Karena, Ngati Kahungunu - Wairoa, Heretaunga
- Kopu Heremia, Ngati Raukawa - Ohau
- Lt. Sgt. Hira Parata, Ngati Toa - Porirua, Whakarongotai - Waikanae
- Cpl Ripene Matoe, Ngati Ruanui
- Hami (Hamuera) Ngaheke, Ngati Pikiahu-Waewae - Kakariki, Tokorangi
Sound file from Sound Archives Ngā Taonga Kōrero. Any re-use of this audio is a breach of copyright. To request a copy of the recording, contact Sound Archives Ngā Taonga Kōrero. (17321). Any re-use of this audio is a breach of copyright.