The Battalion was stationed at Aarsal in Lebanon where they continued to strengthen their defences and carry out reconnaissance tours of the area. Day leave and opportunities to view concerts at the nearby town of Baalbek – famous for its temple ruins of the Roman period – occurred regularly. The rifle companies took turns guarding ammunition and bomb dumps in the Beqaa Valley. Others were sent to guard prisoners and water wells, while others again trained in mountain warfare.
At the start of April the Battalion had a full complement of 33 officers plus the doctor, chaplain, and three Māori subalterns, the latter five being attached to the unit.
- Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel: Humphrey Dyer
- Majors: Tiwi Love (Bn 2ic), Fred Baker
- Captains: Chris Sorrenson, Charles Bennett, Terry Gilroy, Gordon Ormond, Reta Keiha, Ben Porter.
- Temporary Captains: Rangi Logan, Jim Tuhiwai, Ruhi Pene.
- Lieutenants: Peta Awatere, H. T. Maloney, Jack Ormsby, Henry Toka,
- Second Lieutenants: Wai Awarau, Jim Henare, Jim Matehaere, Tony Tikao-Barrett, Syd Jackson, K. P. Mariu, Matt Swainson, George Marsden, Peter Ornberg, Roy Te Punga, Ted Hayward, Kuru Waaka, Ace Wood (adjutant), Meta Francis, A. E. McRae, Ben Ropata, William Vercoe.
- Attached: Capt. R. McDonald (RMO), Capt. Chaplain Kahi Harawira (unit padre), 2/Lts Rangi Tutaki, Jim Aperahama and Hupa Hamiora.
- 1 Apr, Wed. Location Aarsal. 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine consisting of consolidation and construction works on fortress scheme, each Coy carrying out its own tasks. The construction of the road linking this area with the lower valley of the Djedeide area, commenced this morning. A detachment of the 6 Fd Coy (NZ) Engineers supervising the job with approximately 700 Lebanese labourers from the village of Aarsal. Native women and children work side by side with their men-folk. This road when completed will link up with the village of Laboue, a more direct and easier route than that which is used at present.
- 2 Apr, Thur. 0630 hrs reveille. Normal Routine on fortress area.
- 3 Apr, Fri. 0630 hrs reveille. Normal Routine. Capt. Jim Tuhiwai, Capt. Ruhi Pene and 5 ORs returned from base and courses 1500 hrs departure of reconnaissance parties.
- 4 Apr, Sat. 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine, work on defences continued. 1100 hrs Battalion fortress- fire scheme, and projected minefield and principle wire-obstacles was submitted to 4 Brigade HQ. 3 ORs from Brigade HQ signal system, who were temporarily attached to the Battalion marched out to own unit today. The unit's strength for the week, excluding officers, was 733 ORs (incl. 3 attached). 39 ORs were required to bring the Battalion to full strength. The Battalion's officers numbered 38, 5 of whom were attached.
- 5 Apr, Sun. 0700 hrs reveille. 1030 hrs divine service was held in HQ Coy Area. 1500 hrs return of the recce parties. 1600 hrs 20% of unit proceeded on day leave to Baalbek returning at 2200 hrs.
- 6 Apr, Mon 0600 hrs reveille. Coys route march to shower bath parade at WP Laboue during the day. 1600 hrs a further day-leave party of 20% of unit commenced.
- 7 Apr, Tues 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine. 1600 hrs usual day-leave to Baalbek. Marched in from special skiing course 2/Lt Ace Wood, 2/Lt Meta. Francis and 16 ORs. Read 2/Lt Wood's report of the Ninth Army Ski School and see photo of NCOs at Ninth Army Ski School.
- 8 Apr, Wed. 0630 hrs reveille. Normal Routine. 0800 hrs Maj. Tui. Love in a 8-cwt truck departed on reconnaissance. 1600 hrs Usual day-leave to Baalbek.
- 9 Apr, Thurs 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine on defence scheme. 1600 hrs usual day leave to Baalbek.
- 10 Apr, Fri 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine. 1600 hrs usual day-leave to Baalbek. A recce party Sgt. Stanley Cooper ic party departed on a 2 day recce with a detachment of the Cypriot 6 Pack Transport Coy.
- 11 Apr, Sat 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine. In the forenoon three recce parties departed. The unit's strength for the week, excluding officers, was 730 ORs (incl. 4 attached). 43 ORs were required to bring the Battalion to full strength. The Battalion's officers remained at 38, 5 of whom were attached.
- 12 Apr, Sun. 0700 hrs reveille. Divine Service was conducted in the HQ Coy Area at 0930 hrs. 1000 hrs the adjutant 2/Lt Wood (DCM) gave a talk to all NCOs of the unit, less B Coy NCOs, dealing with present Battalion tasks and discipline in general. 1330 hrs B Coy held a special reunion dinner in their own area. The CO and Coy commanders were invited.
- 13 Apr, Mon 0545 hrs reveille. Coys route march to shower baths as usual. 1300 hrs Tet Prop and TAB injections were administered to some of the Battalion. 1808 hrs a small percentage of the Battalion proceeded to Baalbek to see a concert by a party from the 10th Corps party.
- 14 Apr, Tues 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine. A Coy shoot firing practice on Field Firing Range with LMGs and rifles. 1800 hrs another percentage proceed to Baalbek to attend concert by 10th Corps party.
- 15 Apr, Wed. CO with 2/Lt Matt Swainson and 2 ORs left on recce of fwd areas by car for 3 days. 1930 hrs re-screening of the film presented by the YMCA Mobile Cinema Unit took place. Tonight, owing to the rough weather conditions last night which prevented the completion of the screening of the special short film, "Return to the Attack" depicting the NZ Division in events prior to and including the Libyan Offensive against Rommel's Forces was a striking and stirring feature of the nights programme.
- 16 Apr, Thur. 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine, work on the Defence Scheme continued. C Coy shoot firing practice on field range.
- 17 Apr, Fri 0630 hrs reveille. Normal Routine. B Coy shoot firing practice on Field Firing Range. 1330 hrs Departure of recce party with a detachment of Cypriot 6 Pack Transport Coy. 2/Lt Wood, ic party. The CO returned from recce of fwd areas. An attempt to steal ammunition from Unit Dump by 3 natives was made between 2200 hrs and 2300 hrs. The sentries on duty intercepted them, but they escaped into the darkness. Nothing was taken.
- 18 Apr, Sat 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine - consolidation works in progress and road making connecting Battalion administrative area with B Coy. The unit's strength for the week, excluding officers, was 730 ORs (incl. 4 attached). 43 ORs were required to bring the Battalion to full strength. The Battalion's officers numbered 38, 5 of whom were attached. Two more officers were required.
- 19 Apr, Sun 0700 hrs reveille. The RMO made a medical examination of the members of the Battalion. 1000 hrs the usual Divine Services were held commencing. 3 Officers and 2 ORs proceed on reconnaissance of forward area, ic party Major Love. A detachment of the Bren Carrier Platoon departed on road improvement work on track from Fortress Area to Quadi el Masse.
- 20 Apr, Mon 0630 hrs reveille. Usual shower parades at WP Laboue. 0730 hrs a detachment from this unit consisting of 2/Lt Henry.Toka, 2/Lt Tony Tikao-Barrett and one platoon from each of A-C and D Coys respectively, departed on special guard duties at Baalbek. 1330 hrs 2/Lt Francis, 2/Lt George Marsden and 2/Lt Duncan McRae with one p1atoon from each of A and B Coys departed on Specialized Training in mountain warfare, carrying out the syllabus laid down by the Adjutant (See syllabus of training). 39 mules with their attendant muleteers of the Cypriot 6 Pack Transport Coy went with the party to carry rations, bedding, etc. 1800 hrs a percentage of the Battalion proceeded to Baalbek to attend a concert produced by the "Ensa" party entitled ‘Girls in Uniform'.
- 21 Apr, Tues 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine, with the main tasks confined to the erection of wire obstacles. 1700 hrs another percentage departed for the concert at Baalbek. 2/Lt Roy Te Punga, 2/Lt Walton. Haig and 25 ORs arched in from base and courses.
- 22 Apr, Wed. 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine. 1700 hrs some of the Battalion departed for the concert at Baalbek.
- 23 Apr, Thur 0630 hrs reveille. WOII Martin McRae and Sgt. W Walters marched out and transferred to Base for special duties in N.Z. Normal routine, and return of mountain warfare party at 1530 hrs and recce party under command of Maj. Love, also returned at 1700 hrs. 1700 hrs another percentage departed for Baalbek to attend concert.
- 24 Apr, Fri 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine, construction of wire obstacles continued. 1310 hrs 2/Lt Swainson and 2/Lt Rangi Tutaki, with one platoon each from D and C Coys, departed on specialized training in mountain warfare carrying out the syllabus as laid down for previous party. 1500 hrs Maj. Fred Baker and 28 ORs from HQ Coy made a recce of the same area. 9 Bren Carriers were used for the transportation of rations, bedding etc.
- 25 Apr, Sat 0630 hrs reveille. In order to expedite the completion of the Battalion defences a full day's work was done by the Battalion. The CO, adjutant and the IO went on reconnaissance of forward area past Hama. The unit's strength for the week, excluding officers, was 745 ORs (incl. 4 attached) 28 ORs were required to bring the Battalion to full strength. The Battalion's officers numbered 40, 5 of whom were attached.
- 26 Apr, Sun 0630 hrs reveille. An inspection of the Bn area by the 2IC was carried out at 0900 hrs. A kit inspection was also held. 1030 hrs divine service was conducted by Mr Charlie Bennett of the YMCA; the unit chaplain Capt. Kahi Harawira, having proceeded to Baalbek to hold service for the Battalion guard stationed there.
- 27 Apr, Mon 0630 hrs reveille. Usual shower bath parade at WP Laboue. 1000 hrs the guard at Baalbek was relieved by 38 ORs from B Coy. The officers from the previous guard remained. 1600 hrs the p1atoons from C and D Coys returned from their exercise. Coys continued working, particular attention being paid to camouflage of Section Points, A Coy in the forenoon moved into area around Trig 1807.
- 28 Apr, Tues 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine. Every effort is being made by the unit to complete the Fortress Scheme by the end of the month. The CO and 2/Lt Ted Hayward proceeded on a reconnaissance of fwd areas around Alep. Capt. Rangi Logan and Lt.Jack Ormsby and 8 ORs marched out to 7 (NZ) Anti/Tank Regt HQ to attend a course on the 2 Pounder Anti/Tank gun.
- 29 Apr, Wed. 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine. Visit by F.S.S. Personnel. 2/Lt Harry Lambert marched in from the Maori Training Company at Advanced Base.
- 30 Apr, Thur 0630 hrs reveille. Normal routine. 1800 hrs a small percentage of the Battalion went to Baalbek to see the concert by a party from the UD Forces. The CO returned from reconnaissance. 2/Lt Harry Lambert marched in from the Maori Training Company at Advanced Base.
Archives New Zealand = Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
28 NZ (Māori) Battalion Diary, WAII 1 1664 DA 68/1/29
 Nga Tama Toa, p. 214.