- aircrew commented on Douglas brothers
- Brian_How commented on Poi Hakena (Jackson) Phillips - D Coy - Reg.No.800875
- merehorataurua commented on Hone Pokai Taurua "Big John"
- tarnz07 commented on Poi Hakena (Jackson) Phillips - D Coy - Reg.No.800875
- Djmenace commented on David McCaskill
- Joined: July 27, 2009, 2:26 pmName:Te Awhi o Te Rangi Manahi
Last Active: April 3, 2014, 4:12 pm
Update 17 Jan 2011:
We had very little information about our Uncle Dennis before we placed our first entry on his Battalion web page on the 30 July 2009. His parents and all his siblings had died and we didn't know where to start. Now when we look at Uncle Dennis' photos and read about him - it's like he has just walked in the door...like he actually did come home from the war and is telling us his story.
In searching, I found an N.Z.E.F. Roll of Honour with his name on it in The Evening Post. I realised that there was a huge amount of information in The Evening Post newspaper about our 28th Maori Battalion soldiers, so I thought I could help others by going through the papers from 1939 - 1945 and adding a comment on a soldier's page with links to articles where he is mentioned.
I hope this fills in some gaps for whanau looking for additional information.
We also did an interesting exercise when we first registered on the Battalion site on the 29th of July 2009 which helped us realise just how involved in (or against) the military our Tupuna were:
• 1865 NZ Land Wars - Te Aitanga a Mahaki defenders of Waerenga a Hika - Arapata Taniwha (G G G Grandfather) and his son Paora Whakanga
• 1866 Hawkes Bay Military Settlers - Joseph Hamon (G G Grandfather)
• 1st Waikato Regiment (Scout) & 1867 NZ Militia Native Contingent - Timi Waata Rimini (G G Grandfather)
• WWI NZ Pioneer Battalion - Joseph Anderson (Grandfather)
• WWII 28 Maori Battalion - Eruera Dennis Hamon (Grand Uncle)
• 1946 British Commonwealth Occupation Force (J Force) - George (Hori) Tunui Anderson (Father)
"Look to the rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn."
- Te Awhi
Profile photo: Geoff and Te Awhi Manahi
Comments I've posted:
Comment Related Memory Replies Updated Titled: A Maori Artist "The Spirit of the Bayonet" by Pte Eruera Dennis Hamon - C Company 1941 4 1 year 41 weeks ago That is beautiful Laney... Waki Lewis 3 1 year 13 weeks ago SECOND LIEUT. G. TAKURUA George Takurua 1 1 year 42 weeks ago Daniel Jack unveils memorial, Sept 1945 Daniel Jack 1 1 year 43 weeks ago Monument for Patrick Reuben Sept 1945 Patrick Reuben 1 1 year 43 weeks ago 'Te Karere' magazine tribute, 1942 "The Spirit of the Bayonet" by Pte Eruera Dennis Hamon - C Company 1941 4 1 year 41 weeks ago There is another photo... Eruera Dennis Hamon 9 2 years 22 weeks ago Tame and Dennis E. D. Hamon and T. Tangohau - Cairo, Egypt August 1941 2 2 years 34 weeks ago Beautiful and contemplative... Carol 'Silent Night', 1942 4 1 year 18 weeks ago Pte T. E. Duncan displayed courage and initiative Thomas England Duncan 4 3 years 13 weeks ago
Photos I've contributed:
GuestbookVisit Te Awhi Manahi's profile