- aircrew commented on Douglas brothers
- Brian_How commented on Poi Hakena (Jackson) Phillips - D Coy - Reg.No.800875
- merehorataurua commented on Hone Pokai Taurua "Big John"
- tarnz07 commented on Poi Hakena (Jackson) Phillips - D Coy - Reg.No.800875
- Djmenace commented on David McCaskill
70 years ago this month
The Battalion is in Taranto training and officers are undertaking Division exercises. They pre-record a broadcast of songs and messages home. Read the war diary for November 1943 here
William Pitman's obituary published in the New Zealand Herald, 25 June 2012.
PITMAN, William (Bill). Reg.No. 28982, 28 NZ (Maori) Battalion, A Company, 5th Re- inforcements. He was the last surviving A Coy man from the ferocious attack on the Cassino Railway Station, Italy 1944. Bill has been an inspiration to the 28 NZ (Maori) Battalion Auckland Association. We will all remember him for the Living Treasure that he was and the enternal Taonga that he and the rest of our Maori Battalion Veterans will always be for Maoridom. Ake, ake, kia kaha e! Rest easy Matua Bill, you have earned your rest.